Monday. 2.27.17 3:54 am
A working holiday visa to New Zealand eh? How did you get it and for how long?
How to get this
The visa application process opens around the 3rd week of January, you gotta check the NZ immigration website for the specific date at 8AM New Zealand time (means +13 GMT / 5AM Malaysian time). Also, there is only 1150 spots a year (check the immi website in case they change the quota!).
I heard that this year (2017), the website crashed when the applications opened and they had to postpone to a later date.
Everyone else in the world
I'm not entirely sure about the rest of you, check the NZ immigration website but... I know that Europeans get to apply all year long.
How long do I get to stay once I got the visa
Malaysians and Singaporeans
- 6 months
- 1 year (disclaimer: I haven't heard of anyone else who has a shorter period other than Malaysians and Singaporeans)
Can I extend my visa after the initial period is up?
Everyone (unless you are a Brit) gets to extend their WHV for another 3 months on the condition that they work on a farm/vineyard for 3 months. Check out the immigration website for the updated conditions.
Please note that the time you spent wwoofing (working for food and accommodation) on farms (regardless of the hours) will NOT
be taken into account for this extension.
If you are British, you'll be able to get an extension for a year.. I don't know the conditions tho.
1) Do I need to show evidence that I have the minimum cash requirement when I enter NZ for the first time?
Not unless you are asked to produce the evidence.
2) I didn't manage to put in my application =((((
I would encourage you to check the immigration website again the next day for the next couple of weeks. Chances are there will be someone whom they have rejected and the application is open again to fill up the quota.
3) I've submitted my application (YAY!!!), how long will they take to get back to me?
If you are impatient, you can check your immigration account. You can see any changes to your account before they send you the email confirmation.
4) I've got my visa! Any advice on when to go?
Well... this is a tricky question. It all depends on:
- when you want to go (which season; please note that a huge amount of backpackers arrive in Dec/Jan, i.e. summer)
- what kind of jobs are you looking for (what fruits are in season when you want to arrive)
- depending on which island you want to start travelling from (South Island is generally colder than North Island)
5) Did you buy a one way ticket or a return ticket?
I bought a one way ticket. I even worked Australia into my plans (i.e. travel to a part of Aussie on the way there and another on the way back), might as well since it is kind of on the way to NZ. I flew from KUL to Perth to Auckland (it worked out to be around the same price unless you don't have a specific time you want to travel and are just looking at cheap tickets). You could also get an open return but I have no idea how that works =/
6) Did you travel solo or with a friend?
I travelled solo. I didn't plan much.. just where I wanted to stop first and then I worked from there.
7) Did you find work before or after you got there?
I started off wwoofing then I looked for possible jobs then. Some employers are alright with you applying for the jobs prior to you getting there but some requires you to be there before giving you the job, so it depends.
Categories: NZ [t], WHV [t], Guide [t]
Interesting, I've never really thought about this kind of thing before. Did you feel safe in New Zealand? I'd be kind of worried about my safety as a solo female from another country. » randomjunk
on 2017-02-27 05:35:44
If you are a member, try logging in again or accessing this page here.